Wednesday, July 24, 2013

A Beautiful Mess: Centerpiece Version 3.0

I know, I know... Another centerpiece version for our MOPS Beautiful Mess theme? Really?
Yes, really. I liked aspects of both of my previous concepts, but the first one was almost a little too messy and the second was not messy enough. Version 3.0 combined my favorite parts together and it turned out almost exactly like my original vision of what the centerpieces should look like. I love, love, love the look of the paint dripping down the striped jar... and having a small flower arrangement inside the jar keeps the centerpiece nice and short so that all our MOPS mamas can see each other around the table. I am very happy with how this, my final (I promise), beautiful mess centerpiece turned out <3
...................................................................................................

At this point I feel like a pro at making wreath forms out of a pool noodle. I wanted to make sure my yarn nest fit nice and tight around the mason jar, so I cannibalized a couple of the previous wreaths and cut them down to a smaller size.
I was able to enlist the help of my mighty men to hold to two ends together, so I could get them properly taped. The bigger rings weren't too hard to do on my own, but these ones were definitely a two person job.

As this is my absolute, final, no more versions centerpiece concept, I made a few forms to really vamp up the creation process. Once you have your forms fully wrapped in duct tape and the yarn spooled into your dish, you are ready to "Wrap and Roll"... That statement was like at least a little funny when I said it out loud :-)
I had previously tried mixing 1 cup of starch with half a cup of flour and was not too happy with the results. Turns out, this really is the best method as long as you mix the starch and flour in a blender. The first time I just whisked the two together until there weren't any visible clumps. Hand whisking is not going to cut it. You absolutely have to use a mixer. The end results were 100% better this time around. I even like these nests better than the one I made using the über expensive fabric stiffener. 
The process is really quite simple. Just lay the string all over the form, the messier, the better. Be sure to remove as much excess liquid as possible or else these will take DAYS to dry. I left mine to dry over night and they were pretty much good to go. 
   .................................................................................................................
The Jar...
I chose to paint the stripes on the inside of my jars. It would have been significantly easier to do them on the outside, but, trust me, they look a lot nicer on the inside. This way the glass jar still looks nice and shiny. It was not super hard, just more time consuming.
I fashioned a handy tool from a small rubber spatula. Use the rubber side to help get the painters tape in the correct place and then use the harder, taped side to make sure the edges of the tape are securely stuck in place. I used four wide strips of tape on the corners and then I cut two strips in half to make four thinner strips of tape in between the wider strips.
It is okay if there is an air bubble in the middle of the tape,  as long as the sides are stuck down securely. You do not want paint to leak into the the lines.
I practiced spray painting on a couple spaghetti jars first to figure out the best way for me to paint on the inside. Once you finish spray painting, make sure to remove the tape right away. If you let it set too long, you will end up peeling away the paint as well as the tape.
I love getting samples of Valspar paint from Lowes. You get 7.5 ounces of customized color for less than $3. You cannot buy craft paint for less than that. So, I poured my fabulous paint around the rim of my jar (again after practicing on some spaghetti jars) and let them drip. If you like the look of long drips going all the way to the bottom of the jar, then great. Stop here. If not....
Simply flip your jar upside down onto a sheet of wax paper once your drips are as long as you like them. It is such a simple idea that I cannot believe how it took me so long to figure this out. I went through half a dozen spaghetti jars before I finally thought of flipping them :-)
........................................................................................................................
The Flowers...
Flowers really have a way of pretty-ing up a mess. I messed around with a few ideas for how to arrange them in the jars so they looked more beautiful and less like I just shoved a handful of petals into a jar. I decided to make a miniature vase that would fit inside my jars. 
I am a big fan of the Dollar Tree and by far my best buy for this crafting season has been the mighty pool noodle. These babies are a thrifty crafter's best friend. The circumference of the noodle was a little too big to easily fit in the jar, so I trimmed them down a little. I want to give another shout out to my favorite crafting  Forever Sharp knife. These are really my absolute favorite knives for crafting and cooking.
I like the multidimensional shape of my little noodle vase. I think it looks really cool inside the jar.
I used the paint I caught on a plate while pouring it over the jar and a paper towel to make my little vase a perfect match for the centerpiece. 
That is pretty much it. Next is just the waiting game for the paint to dry. Patience is not one of my virtues. I busted out a hair dryer to help speed up the process. But I was just so excited to see the finished product. I am very happy with how everything turned out. 
Three centerpieces down and only seven more to go before the start of MOPS in September. 
SOOOOO EXCITED!!!!   



    
 
   
 
 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment